This is my grandmother's button box, well actually it's a tin. I think that it was a Whitman's chocolate tin.
I spent many hours sorting buttons as a child. Grandma always let me look at the wonderful buttons. She also collected salt and pepper shakers, which I loved to look at.
Some of the buttons, have been snipped off garments. I'm sure she had to be thrifty. The material would be used for quilts, mending or rags.Many children's hands have sorted through these buttons. They have been placed in piles of size, and of color. There have been games to find the prettiest or the ugliest button. My children loved to look at great grandma's buttons.
I'm saving them for my grandchildren to sort someday. Then they will be great-great grandma's buttons!





8 comments:
Oh, buttons are nice. So much variety and color and texture. I have a bunch of old buttons that I have in a box. :)
What a great post! We had/have (somewhere, with my sister I think) a collection of Grandma's buttons too. What great memories. Kids are easy to please, and anything can be worthy of time spent as a child, even sorting buttons. And they're fun to attach to almost anything.
Grandma's button are the best!
Someday these will go to Autumn:)
I like the flowery one (orangy and pinkish) and the heart one. But that gold one near the top is beautiful. Wonder what it came off of.....
My Mom had a tin that I loved to play with when I was little. Different tin but otherwise very very similar. Funny the two of us in our own worlds, sorting and arranging and probably not far from each other.... Any ways, my Mom sent Zoe her tin a few years ago so we have it here.
Wow! I just noticed your new ID picture!!! Beautiful!!!
Oh thanks Sharon, Caleb took it on the porch swing today. As I was reading and sipping iced mint tea in my yard sale tea glasses! I figure it looks more like summer.
That's such a sweet thought! The two of us, little girls sorting buttons. That makes me happy!:)
Hey Tammy, I'm not sure what these came from. One of my favorites is a turquoise flower shaped one.
But there are a lot of ugly ones in there! lol
Post a Comment