Saturday, May 17, 2008

Crazy, Crazy

We had a bit of crazy weather... This is the house next to mine. I was on the porch moving my plants because it was looking really scary, really fast. As I was standing on my porch this swirling wind was in the street (like a little tornado) throwing dirt and leaves around. It moved toward the neighbors and down went the tree. It was like slow motion. It was so unreal to see this huge tree fall over. I could hear all the roots snapping and the huge limbs breaking. I stood there frozen. When it landed a black squirrel who rode it down, came shooting out of the top and ran really fast across the street. The poor thing must of been so scared!
No one was hurt and the people who live there were not home.

This sidewalk is so busy with pedestrians and kids playing.
Thank God no one was on it!
The news crew interview me, yuck!
Seems I was the only eye witness.
Some lady across the street tells them "she
saw it happen" points to me. Oh good grief....

Hey Ruth, recognize anyone? Pam sends her love!

It lifted the sidewalk and smashed a few porch roofs. I have a tree as big as this, directly across the street from this one. The strange wind whirl was between them in the street It headed south toward the neighbors. When the young couple came home at 11:00 last night they couldn't figure out what happened. They thought the City went insane and tore up their tree. I told them "no it was a crazy wind!"

14 comments:

denise said...

Wow! Big tree for a little yard. That was huge!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Wow!!! You probably couldn't believe your eyes!
What a shock that must have been and Glad you did not get hurt Anet... sorry for the damage to your neighbors places...

Big changes can happen in a matter of moments!!

Anet said...

Hi Denise, The tree is huge and over a couple hundred years in age.

Gwen, It was like a slow motion crazy dream. I just stood there in unbelief! It didn't touch my tree. It's kind of sad, they were the matching pair guarding the corner. Sniffy lives in my tree but he is always running up that one. I have seen him yet, I hope he's OK.

Sharon said...

That definitely sounded like one of those moments that draws you into the present and makes your heart stop. Let us know when you see Sniffy I can't stand to think that he might have been up there.

Anet said...

Hey Sharon, good news Sniffy is OK! He was in my tree this morning. He wouldn't come down for a long time. Usually he'll come running when he sees me. Maybe he's a little shaken.
I'm trying to convince him to move to a stronger-younger tree than mine. Like my other neighbors tree. But you know how stubborn squirrels can be!

Sharon said...

I'm so glad!!! I can't help but laugh at the thought of you standing underneath your neighbors tree trying to coax him over!

Tammy said...

Holy cow.

It's amazing that no one was hurt!

I'm glad Sniffy is fine. Probably scared the other one half to death!

Anet said...

Hey Sharon, It's kinda funny when I'm talking with Sniffy and someone walks by. They look at me funny. I try to explain I'm just talking to a squirrel and then it's like... OK lady, whatever you say. I'm not as nutty as I seem. Really!


Hi Tammy, it was kinda scary. The poor black squirrel was back today climbing on the rubble. I hoped there was no babies. I went over and looked and didn't find any.

Sharon said...

I don't think it's nutty at all but speaks volumes about what a neat person you are.......let them look, and maybe some day they'll get lucky enough to have a squirrel friend of their own!

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon, that's sweet!

Ruth said...

Oh man!! How frightening it must have been! We were at our family cottage for a work day when that wind kicked up in the afternoon. The trees were bending and many dead branches were downed. On our drive home last evening we saw lots of trees down, Don kept saying, "look at that one! there's another one!" so it was more widespread than we realized. We were about an hour and a half from Lansing.

Ohhh! it's so great to see Pam there!! I can just hear her squealing when you told her you met me on a blog! :D At first I was afraid that was her yard. So glad no one, not Sniffy or anyone, was hurt.

Stumbleine said...

I'm just glad it fell the other way, it would have taken out half our house if it fell our way, not to mention you. I was perfectly not nervous about going ghost hunting until you called me panicing into the phone. You scared me half to death you know.

Anet said...

Hi Ruth, Pam was so surprised that we met...She told me to tell you hi and sends her love. She was in shock when she saw the tree. She lives behind the house with tree. It sure was strange how quick this little wind storm went through. It wasn't even raining. That tree was so rotten on the inside when I checked it out the next day. It's no wonder it fell over!

Anet said...

Oh Autie, momma's sorry I worried you... I was talking to you on the phone when it happened and I was a little freaked out! I'm glad you were safe on your ghost hunt:o
Don't worry I would of ran faster than that old tree was falling if it would of came our way!!

Blog Archive