Monday, April 4, 2011

Shooting the Breeze and a Treasure Hunt...

Hello Everyone, It's been almost two weeks since my last post. This morning I woke up early (7:30am) to the sounds of city workers cutting down our neighbor's tree. Nice! So I dragged myself out of bed; gave my mom her medicines, checked emails and grabbed a cup of coffee. Not too much to going on around here really... sort of waiting for the weather to warm up. Noah and I have been working on a lot of math lately (not our favorite subject) but we needed to catch up on stuff. Last night we watch a great documentary called The Cats of Mirikitani, if you get a chance you should watch it. We found it on netflix. I think we'll try our hand at some Japanese Cat art this week. Noah is signed up for some exciting Spring classes at our homeschool co-op: Pond life at the Nature center, Odyssey of the Mind, Solar Energy and Drama. That should keep him busy, I don't know what I'd do without these classes for him!


Lately, if I can get out of the house twice a week I'm pretty lucky...not counting taking walks in the neighborhood with Noah, we try to walk every other day at least. I've been keeping busy with taking care of my mom. She's fine, but not able to do much for herself anymore. She had a little fluid in her lungs but seems to be better now. She sleeps a lot and paints very little these days, she listens to Christmas music (which makes me very sad.) She doesn't have much of an appetite. I give her her meds twice a day, fix her meals, clean her rooms and I do her laundry. Autumn comes over and keeps her entertained with playing cards and just spending time with her. My sister can only come for one day every two weeks now, kind of a bummer. But she has to work. Brad told me to pick somewhere to go on Saturday while my sister was in town to stay with my mom. I chose to go to the Livingston Antique Market. We decided to take Noah along with us. Had I known this place is so huge I would of thought twice about bringing Noah. It takes about three hours or so if you want to see everything... which I do:) I told everyone that we were on a treasure hunt and they could choose one treasure, so that made it more fun for Noah. Uh, hum... with a $20 limit of course.


My treasure: a hand painted black tray, I like the crackles and the nicks in it. Noah's treasure: a Crown glass topped quart jar (Canadian) filled to the brim with polished semi precious stones. A pretty awesome treasure! Brad's treasure: 4 Hardy Boys books. He had read every single Hardy boy as a kid. (nerd) anyways, he spent the rest of the weekend reading them. Noah is reading, The Mystery of Cabin Island. Spooky!!!



If I had tons of money to spend, this lamp would be mine!



An adorable mad Easter bunny? Made me chuckle.


Even though it was a gloomy (non-Spring) like weekend, I did enjoy myself...


Hope you had a nice weekend too!

11 comments:

Tammy said...

LOL, I love the mad Easter bunny. So good to read an update about what you've been up to. :)

RunninL8 said...

This makes me want to go antiquing! I wonder if Willa would be into this too, checking out all the "old" stuff!
I think that it's wonderful that you are caring for your mon like this. My dad passed recently and I so wish MANY circumstances had been different and that I could have had him closer to care for him. So Goddess BLESS you.
I'm jealous of Noahs AWESOME score! Tons of gemstones!

RunninL8 said...

This makes me want to go antiquing! I wonder if Willa would be into this too, checking out all the "old" stuff!
I think that it's wonderful that you are caring for your mon like this. My dad passed recently and I so wish MANY circumstances had been different and that I could have had him closer to care for him. So Goddess BLESS you.
I'm jealous of Noahs AWESOME score! Tons of gemstones!

RunninL8 said...

Sorry bout that double post...not sure what's up.

I'm not sure if memory serves me, but wasn't noah totally into owls awhile back? Willa is going through an owl phase and I'm looking for ideas....
Also, too, I just totally DIGGED Autumns photo site!!! WOW!!! She's got some fantastic stuff going on!!!!!

Anet said...

Hi Dana,
I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Seems many of us are dealing with aging parents these days.


I'm very proud of Autumn, she's really been working hard and it's starting to pay off. She's got so many different things going on, I can hardly keep up with her.

Noah loves owls! One activity that was super neat to do was dissecting the owl pellets. You can find them online. (Unless digging into owl vomit to find old bones isn't your cup of tea:)
Not a cute owl activity for sure!

Tara said...

Ooo, that movie is going right into my Netflix queue. Thank you!
I'm so glad you were able to have a little get-away with the hub and kiddo. An antique market treasure hunt sounds like the perfect way to spend a rainy spring day.
We're in that same strange type of place with my dad. My thoughts are often with you and your mom.
Hugs.

Ann said...

Oh my gosh, I love that mad bunny. Too funny! Miss you tons, we have been sick and cookie boothing for the last 2 weeks. When we are better, we will find a sunny day to sit on your porch.

Anet said...

Hey Tammy, Isn't that bunny a hoot! Can't imagine why she's so angry.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tara,
I know... I often think of you and your dad too! Hope he's doing okay.

Noah and I really enjoyed the video (there is a small amount of mild bad language) but nothing he hasn't heard before, LOL!
Anyways, it's really a great documentary that led to many different great conversations with Noah.
Hugs to you too:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Well, hi ya Ann!
I miss you too:)
Don't forget the Pansky egg class this Sunday... and we're going out for a bite to eat afterwards, okay? (don't know if Beth talked to you yet) You should ask Hanlie and Jackie to join us. I'll ask Jozefa if she'd like to come also.

Well gee... You and the kids get
better soon!
Won't be long and we can start park days again!!!
Oh and yes it will be nice to sit on my porch and chat again:)

Crescent Moon said...

Is Noah going to make something cool out of all those shiny rocks?
I really like that tray!

RunninL8 said...

I think Willa would LOVE the pellets!!!! especially since she is in that goofy "poop and butts" are the FUNNIEST things phase. Big eye roll......

Anet said...

Crescent Moon,
That's a good idea, maybe a photo frame for a gift would be nice:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Dana,
I love the poop and butt phase!
I wanted to mention our favorite owl book:
Adopted by an Owl
by Robbyn Smith van Frankenhuyzen
I think Willa would like this story.
It's a true story and the family in the story lives in the next town over from us.

Blog Archive