Monday, March 7, 2011

Heirloom Seeds and Vulpes vulpes

Our heirloom seed bank from the Heirloom Seed Company

(sorry my linking button seems to be not working for me...grrr! )

My heirloom seeds arrived the other day. Brad and I have been watching documentaries, reading books on how to live a more sustainable life. "If " someday we need to rely on ourselves to provide food for our family, friends and community we'd like to be ready. I know it may sound a bit paranoid. But I figure better prepared than sorry.

I'm currently reading a book on seed saving and another on canning and preserving foods. I know a little bit about canning from working with my mom over the years. We are also stocking up on can goods, rice, and a small fresh water supply. This spring we are buying a rain barrel and a composting bin.

The seeds will be properly stored for this year in our seed bank (an airtight container in the refrigerator.) I just won't have the time for much gardening this summer with helping my mom and all. But we'll be ready for a wonderful garden another summer.

Our city recycling is now working on a single stream system...which means we as residents can recycle many more items now. I've hung a poster over our recycling bin and trying...trying to educate the rest of the family on what and how to recycle. Believe me... I'm watching what is thrown in the trash can like a mama hawk!

We are also going to start making an effort to buy as much local and organic foods as we can. Our van will be paid off next month. Yippee!!! Which will give us a little more pocket cash for better healthier foods:)

We have a plan, to someday soon sell our big city home for something smaller but with more land just outside the city limits (we still want to stay close to our homeschool community.) Brad agreed that we could get a few egg chickens too! Oh yes, remind me to talk to Brad about becoming a hunter. LOL! He's never killed anything in his life! Hey, but I do like venison:)

~~~~~~~~~
Noah's latest study unit~Or should be worded as Noah's latest interest. Because all of what we refer to as "units" is taking from what Noah is interested in at the moment. It may take days, weeks, even years (Civil War) to finish any certain unit. It's up to Noah. When he's ready to move on, then we do.
Fox Unit: Red Fox, Vulpes vulpes



Foxes have been around for 30 million years. They can run 30 miles per hour. There are 14 different species of fox.
Study source: Red Fox The Catlike Canine by J. David Henry and lots of YouTube videos with the cutest little red foxes! I want one.

6 comments:

Sharon said...

It's hard to believe it's March already. Still way too soon to be thinking about starting seeds here since we aren't frost free until the first week of June (and sometimes not even then). Still it's nice to think that you guys are actually on the verge of spring in Michigan. How great that Alice will be there with you to see the tulips come up and feel the air warm.

Anet said...

Thanks Sharon.
My mom loves to sit on the porch and watch the birds and squirrels. It will be wonderful for her to get out of the house. Hurry up Spring!

Nikki Starcat Shields said...

Great post! We're having fun thinking about sustainability, too. We're planning a fairly big vegetable garden for this year. Spring is slow to arrive here in Maine, though. I love your cat picture in the header, too! Mew!

Anonymous said...

I simply *adore* foxes! ^.^ Ever since Disney's "Robin Hood" and Roald Dahl's "Fantastic Mr. Fox", they have been one of my favorite animals.

If Noah studies the Swift Fox, he will find that they run even faster than the Red Fox!

Can you believe spring is almost here?

Tara said...

How great to read that your city system has changed to allow for more recycling, and congratulations on eliminating your car payment. It sounds like you entering a new and exciting stage of life.

Enjoy your unit study, Noah!

Anet said...

Thanks Starcat,
I know, we thought spring was here once already (snow was all melted) and then had a blizzard with another 12 inches. Crazy Michiganders, what we're we thinking?!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Wendy,
Ah yes, those are some cute foxes! and we'll check out those swift foxes...hmmm... good name for them:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Tara,
Yes, no more van payment each month will be so awesome!
Now the trick will to be to keep it running good for several more years:)
Sometimes I wish we could be a one car family, but could never be happy with sitting around all day when Brad was at work and we'd miss out on most of the homeschooling actitivies.

Blog Archive