Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Feeling a Little Fallish!

A big pot of mums on the porch steps...

Apples from our visit to an apple farm on our vacation.
Yes... we did that too!


Filling the house with the smells of apples and cinnamon...


as Noah started his History of Halloween Unit.

Last year I couldn't get my hands on the History Channel's DVD History of Halloween anywhere near Halloween from the library or Netflix... so this year I planned ahead. I think I've found enough interesting activities to make this unit go for a few weeks. Today we watched the DVD, answered some questions from the History Channel's Idea Book for Educators. Then he made a history of Halloween timeline comic book (we are dealing with Noah here.) Anyways, he started with the Ancient Celts and ended with the 1970's "candy and razor in the ole' apple scare." After he was finished we headed to the library on our bikes. Our first bike trip to the library together, it was so fun!


~~~~

Monday was spent at our homeschool group's Not-Back-To-School Carnival.

We had a request to bring Whack-a-Monkey again this year. So I quickly made one Sunday evening. After spending the afternoon with Brad at the Fire Keepers casino... Yes, we did that too and no I didn't win any big money:(


A very wet Noah/Monkey. The kids had fun taking turns as the monkey and throwing wet sponges. There was also a cupcake walk and minute to win it games.


The object was to whack the monkey in the face... but the monkey was whacked many times in the legs. Here I caught the sponge in mid-air, action photo!
All of this "fall goodness" is making me want to head up to the attic and start pulling out my fall and Halloween decorations. Okay... maybe just the fall stuff for a few weeks, then the Halloween decorations!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I am so ready to jump into fall (my last one here in Korea; looking forward to returning to the western hemisphere for future autumns). Thank you for these lovely images. I miss my mums!

Lisa said...

Thanks for the dvd tip. I put it at the top of our netflix list. I was just looking at that History Channel lesson today. I can't wait to share it with the kids. We pulled out our autumn/halloween box yesterday and began decorating the house. The kids got really into it. Our not-back-to-school picnic is next week. I love it when everybody is back in school. It's like the world is ours again!
have a great week
lisa

Tammy said...

I am sooo ready for fall here, too. I love the Wack a Monkey game, lol...I bet all of the kids had so much fun getting wet. :)

History of Halloween unit...that sounds interesting!

Tammy said...

By the way, that K12 site you shared with is AMAZING!!!

Tara said...

Whack a Monkey! I love it...

October is my favorite homeschool month because we always do something creepy/fun. This year I think it will be Frankenstein. And I just got Werewolves of Miller's Hollow in the mail... something to pass the cool autumn nights.

I'll have to check out that site...

Blog Archive