Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The new guy...

Harpo

We took our new addition to the vets and yes... he's an already neutered male cat.
We named him Jasper... for the mineral, not for the Twilight character. (Noah wants to make this clear. :)
Now Jasper has to stay in isolation for the most part for three whole months so that we can have him checked for feline leukemia. I just can't risk the health of our other two cats. He cannot eat out of the same dishes, use the same litter box, lick or bite the other cats... for three months!
Luckily, we have Autumn's spare bedroom for Jasper to stay in, it's kind of sad but he does come downstairs several times a day. I have to shut all the doors, pick up the cat dishes and watch them carefully. Ugh!

Harpo and Bella are pretty laid back about the new addition and for the most part Jasper is too. Just the past few days, Jasper is trying to fill Boo's shoes as alpha male around here. Attacking the other cats, which I'm suppose to be protecting from bites.
In all rights it should be Bella's turn as alpha male... but he's too much of a softie. Next in line is Harpo and Harpo is not very happy about Jasper trying to throw his weight around... which is so funny because Jasper is such a tiny wee cat. I thought he was a young cat because he is so small, the vet said he was 1 to 2 years old from his teeth.

I'm just sure poor Bella is so confused why his buddy Boo is gone and now there is this pesky little cat. I feel awful about it.
I did search Craig's list for lost cats... there was a post for a black and white male missing from our area around the right time. So I called the lady, her cat is big and has long fur.
Nope, not Jasper.
I'm so out of sorts about adding this cat so soon after Boo. Jasper is sweet, but I'm thinking if I can find a really good home for him, I just might give him up. If not, we'll make it work. Much better than letting him live on the streets.

Bella

5 comments:

Tara said...

I didn't realize Harpo and Bella look so much alike. Whether Jasper stays or goes to a new home, I think it's wonderful that you have taken him in and are providing a safe home. Being a street cat has to be pretty terrible.
And thanks for the nice comment you left on my last post. Much appreciated.

Anet said...

Hey Tara,
Thank you
Since Harpo has grown up it's kind of hard to tell them apart from a distance.
Totally different in personality though:)

You are more than welcome!

Autumn Luciano said...

I haven't even met Jasper yet and I know you shouldn't give him up. Your cats are never extremely affectionate. And you deserve one.

We're home from our trip and Bob doesn't look good at all. He has a goopy black in one of his eyes in the corner, and it's stained up his nose (which is runny.) We need to call the vet and see if we can get the eye drops we got last time they had this cold.

sandy said...

Bella is so beautiful. Glad Jasper has found a good home with you all, and fun reading about the male alpha thing, ha!

sandy said...

wow Harpo is gorgeous too thought these two were the same cat.

Blog Archive