Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Remember me?

Okay here's the story...
Saturday morning I went out on the front porch and noticed two of my neighbors had the cat. They called out and ask if it was mine. I said "No, I'm pretty sure she's a stray." I then told them that my son's friend's family was thinking of keeping it and that I would check with them. Because these ladies wanted to take the cat to the Humane Society.
I talked with Julie and asked about the cat. She said they tried to let her in but her husband became all itchy. So I informed the other two neighbors that it was a no-go.
Now I saw them put her in a pet carrier and in the car. I sent the cat happy wishes for a good home and life.
The next day Noah runs in the house and says "Mom, I thought Kitty was gone."
I said "she is." Noah says "No she's not, she right here." Now I know the Humane Society was over loaded with cats. Over 200 of them. Maybe they turned them away and they brought her back and let her go again. So for the next few days the cat stayed on my porch, swinging, eating and getting her ears rubbed. This is one of those over-the-top cuddly sweet cats.

In the mean time, I'm still grieving over Boo. He was the only cat out of my three that would ever pay any attention to me and sit on my lap. The other two are just social misfits, I swear.
My husband this past week would have a fit if we fed the cat on the porch... I had to sneak...
I wasn't about to let any animal go hungry. I called my nephew and asked if he could take her and he said he would but he's moving soon and not sure of what's going on. Everyone else I know has too many cats already or allergic to them.


So anyways, last night Brad and I were on the swing talking and here comes the cat. She plops down right between us turning on all her cat charm and I pointed out the scratches on her nose. "Poor sweet thing." I said.
We came in and I was trying to call Bella or Harpo to come and cuddle with me... they, of course didn't. I thought of my Boo and how he loved me. I started to cry and my husband looked at me and groaned..."You can keep that cat." I couldn't believe it!!! (Sometimes that man is a softie:)


It was dark outside, but she was still there. I brought her in and gave her a bath... she was so good about it!
I set up everything she needed in Autumn's old bedroom for now until I can get her to the vets and slowly get the other cats use to her.
So Noah and I thought of names for her. We thought of flowers, we thought of goddesses, then Noah said how about gems. We named some gems and as soon as I said Ruby, the cat jumped up and bonked her head into my face... her way of giving love.
So Ruby it is! Official name: Miss Ruby Whiskers
Seems to be some strange force in the Universe that this cat is just determined to be a part of this family. I really thought I wasn't ready for another cat so soon and I'm probably not. But gosh, she just so sweet... what's a girl to do?

5 comments:

Tammy said...

Aww...Miss Ruby Whiskers you have found a good family. ♥

Tara said...

Yay! This is such a feel-good story, it made my heart happy for you, Miss Ruby and Boo too (because somehow, I feel like he is involved in this whole thing). Have you ever read the book about Dewey, the library cat? Same sort of wonderful animal/human relationship vibes going on there. Wishing you and Ruby many happy times swinging on the porch!

Anet said...

Thanks Tammy, we'll do our best:)She's off to the vets on Saturday for a check up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Tara, you know, I think you're right about Boo. He'd do something like this to help me along.

I have seen that book at the library many times and keep thinking I should grab it. It looks like such a cute story.

sandy said...

Boo sent her to you, somehow Boo sent her. This is so sweet.

Ann said...

My mom and I love your story. May Ruby have a long, happy life with you.

Blog Archive