Thursday, December 10, 2009

Not so simple...

But wonderful~

Okay so the tree wasn't simplified much. I didn't use all of the branches when I put up the tree and it's still big and bushy. Many decorations were placed back in the boxes. But still the tree has lots of ornaments. Really I'm just glad the tree is finally up now.
I packed some of Autumn's decorations up for her to take home to her own tree.
I just love carefully unwrapping each ornament, each memory, each sentimental trinket. I have Noah's first pair of mittens and his Binky on the tree. Caleb's ornament from first grade.
A little paper heart that Caleb wrote I love you Mom, one Christmas when he was little. A heart with Autumn's name embroidered on it. We even have a few ornaments from Noah's interests; like a Revolutionary soldier from Mackinaw, a Civil War soldier's portrait on a vintage tinsel star that I made him and a ship in a bottle.

This sweet felt heart made me smile when I unwrapped it:)

We saw a really awesome idea at Journey into Unschooling blog...(sorry, my link button stopped working or I'd link it, I'm so frustrated about that~)
Anyways it's a time capsule. I had Noah write a letter to himself only to a twenty year old Noah. It was really cute, something like "I hope you are in college and have some kind of video game" (I've forgotten which one.) and after he signed it, he wrote "I hope we have a great life!" I sealed it in one of the pop bottle tubes and hung a handmade tag saying; "To Noah, Do not open until December 2019. from Noah. We will hang on the tree each year until Noah is twenty years old.

Right after we finished with the tree there was a knock at the door, this gift arrived for Noah from a man that we met at an antique store earlier this year. He and Noah really hit it off, talking about history and stuff. Some of you will remember the cool helmet he sent Noah. Well this gift says "Do not open until Dec 25th." with an awesome vintage 1948 shipping label on it. Noah can hardly wait to see what surprise Mr. Wiseman has in the box for him!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh Anet, the tree is beautiful. Never, ever, ever simplify it ok??? :)

And the time capsule ornament...what an awesome idea!

Anet said...

Aww... Thanks Tammy:)

Lisa Anne said...

Not simple, but gorgeous. Making me think we need to have colored lights this year. We still have a week or so before ours goes up, but do not know if I can wait.

Lisa said...

And to think you still have ornaments in the box! Your tree looks great! We always enjoy unwrapping the gifts and talking about where they came from. It really is a walk down memory lane. And a gift to put under the tree!
Happy Holidays
Lisa

Tara Christiane said...

Your tree looks so beautiful Anet! And I loved seeing the heart hanging there... thanks for sharing a picture. ;-)

A Slice of the Pie said...

That's the best kind of tree. And the time capsule ornament- what a great idea. I haven't made the kids ornaments yet this year, so I just may use that idea!

Joyous holidays to you and your family!

Kel

sandy said...

The tree looks great and I know what you mean about unwrapping the ornaments one by one and reliving the memories. I love that idea of the letter you talked about to the 20 year old. Great idea. I might have Hunt do it.

Blog Archive