Saturday, June 20, 2009

Sunday...Summer Solstice, Father's Day, Kevin's Birthday and the Powwow

I love that the Powwow falls on the same weekend as the Summer Solstice. It really marks the beginning of summer for us. There's no better way to celebrate Father's day for Brad then attending the powwow with his family. Eating some Indian tacos and fry bread. Listening to the drums and the singers, as they fill your soul. Smelling the pine and the burning sage. Taking in the sights of the of the colorful dancers. Honoring his Anishanabe heritage. The kids love learning about their ancestors and visiting the vendor's booths. Autumn is taking Kevin to his first powwow and it's his birthday on Sunday. Happy Birthday Kevin!

If the weather cooperates we will also have a bonfire in our nature circle in the backyard to celebrate the solstice. Some roasting of the marshmallows would be a fun way to celebrate the beginning of summer!
Next week Noah has history camp, they will be learning about Chief Okemos. A local Chief who lived in this area with his tribe. Chippewas/Ojibwa Indian just like Noah! Then next Sunday we are off on our first camping adventure for 4 days. I think we're well prepared...I hope!

Happy Summer Solstice everyone!

3 comments:

Ruth said...

It sounds like a lot culminated on Summer Solstice for you and your family. How wonderful. I think of times like that as new beginnings.

All the prep you've done for camping - I hope it will be a wonderful time.

Now I'll check out your new blog!

Anonymous said...

A very happy (belated) Solstice to you! It looks like an incredible way to spend it!

Peace, happiness and Solstice blessings to you and your family.

Lisa said...

Happy Solstice and your photos are just beautiful.

Lisa :)

Blog Archive