Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Middle Ages

Sometimes it's hard to keep up with Noah's interest!
We are now deep in the Middle Ages. 500 AD to 1400 AD
Hard times, the Dark Ages, the Hundred year war and the black death.
Times of wonder and horror. A time of extremes and opposites. Like the black and white of a chessboard. A bold knight might pray for his victim and then chop off his head! Now that's extreme!
Noah's knight's castle diorama.

The hundred year war between the French and the dreaded fire breathing cat!

"Die thy fowl beast!"

Our supply of knowledge. The Kaleidoscope Kids; Knights and Castle is a book we've had from when I homeschooled Autumn and Caleb. We love this book!

10 comments:

Linda said...

Those books look lovely, we will also be doing the Middle Ages this year.

tiff said...

omgoodness...i love the diorama...my boys' love to make those too!

i don't know how you do it...from civil war to the middle ages...hee ;)

enjoy!

Tara said...

Middle Ages is on our list but after Rome I had to put it off for a while. All that religious persecution, illness, toiling until you die – heavy stuff! Jeff's aunt gave us a nice book: Good Masters, Sweet Ladies. I'm looking forward to using it.
Love your dioramas! Question: do you keep them all? How do you store them? They are such great learning tools but Tess never wants to put them away or get rid of them so storage becomes an issue...

Tammy said...

Fire breathing cat...hee hee hee. :)

I bet it's nice to use your fave books again with Noah.

Anet said...

Hi Everyone!

Hey Tara, this is the colonial diorama box. We kept it for months but decided to reuse it for the castle. (He keeps his favorite parts like the cabin, teepee, etc.)
I try to keep only one diorama at a time, cause they do take up space. Noah wants to keep them all too!
I'm sure this diorama box will be reused again:)

Shona Leah said...

We love those "You Wouldn't Want to be a..." books They are so hilarious!
That's a good idea to re-use the diorama's b/c of space, good thing you can photograph them before taking starting anew.

Lisa said...

Great project. Love the kitty cat "attacking."

-Lisa :)

Lisa Anne said...

Fun, we finished up a study on the middle ages earlier this year. We really liked the book Castles (and Cathedrals) by David Macaulay, there is also a video that goes along with it (which we liked even better than the book).
Diorama's are fun! We found a book that we could cut out and glue to make a 3-D castle, amazing detail, now it is collecting dust in our office.

sandy said...

I always loved learning about that era....cute diorama. And love the cat looking in, haha.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That's an impressive medieval castle there!

I'm loving all the ideas on your blog (we're considering homeschooling our girl at the moment). Great stuff.

Blog Archive