Okay, so we're going camping this summer. We've never tent camped as a family. But I have this huge need to get back-to-basic and out-in-nature! I've never camped as an adult responsible for other people's comfort and welfare. So I've been doing my homework; studying, planning, purchasing supplies, check out campgrounds. We chose a site at Sleepy Hollow campground which isn't too far from home. The great thing is, Brad can still drive to work each day and the boys and I will stay at the camp during the day. There is swimming, fishing, nature trails. We made reservations for 4 nights in late June.
We've bought a big tent that sleeps up to 8 people. I read all 50 consumer comments on it... with most loving this tent and a few saying it sucks. So that wasn't too helpful. But everyone suggest buying better tent stakes for it. So we will do that. It has two large rooms, one for the kids and one for mom and dad. A 7ft. head clearance. My favorite part is the screened in porch.When the weather improves (6 to 8 inches of snow tomorrow) yippee! We will put it up in the backyard for some backyard camping for a few days to test it out. I will water seal it then.
Noah and I have been reading Camp Out by Lynn Brunelle.
I found a camping 13 piece cook set on clearance for super cheap. I made coffee in the perk coffee pot, I've never used one before. That was some awesome coffee! We also bought a mattress for Noah, We have a queen blow up mattress for us and a twin for Caleb already. We have plenty of coolers, a first aid kit, and a camp light.
There is a huge list of things to buy yet. Like a camp stove. Also I have to figure out how to protect Noah from mosquitoes biting him. He swells up terrible! I need to find something that works well, but on the organic side would be ideal.
I just hate to put chemicals on him. Do any of you have a suggestion? Also any suggestions for your favorite; activities, campfire songs/stories, games, recipes, etc... would be awesome.





11 comments:
sounds fun. We went camping last year and it was quite an adventure. The kids loved it! They especially loved how daddy didn't know how to start the fire. It was not as easy as one might think.
Sorry I don't have any suggestions. I'm sure other people will though.
Don't forget lots of s'mores-making goodies and marshmallow roasting sticks. :)
Wow! I didn't even know such a thing as tents with rooms existed! It sounds as if you are having fun just getting ready to go. We bought a bug spray at the natural pharmacy last year that worked like a charm... and it smelled pretty nice too. I'll see if I can find it and send you the name. I've also heard switching to a more alkaline diet a month or so ahead of time will work. I've never done it though.
There are such beautiful spaces in Michigan. I bet you'll have a wonderful adventure!
We go camping several times a year as a family. We always have a great time! The dirtier the kids are the happier they are! S'mores are a definite must! The smartest thing we ever did was make a camping box with everything we need for cooking all in one place. So now we just grab the box and go. Wet wipes are great, too! We also never go without glow sticks or bracelets so we can see the kids, it gets really dark out in the wilderness! You are going to have a great time! Can't wait to hear all about it!!
Fun! We will be camping with the boys this summer too...G is old enough to make it fun, I hope!
We like Organic Anti-Bug Balm by Badger. It is a balm in a little tin case. Uses natural oils. I have also had good luck with frankincense smoke. :)
Look out, Anet. We were living in the Genesee neighborhood when we were camping and decided we needed to live in the country. :)
How do you water seal a tent?
I wish I'd had a mom do all that stuff!
Last day in NY, Lesley's at work today, and I think we're just gonna hang out at the apt.
I've been itching to go family camping soon, too. Yay for you!!
Having Apis Mellifica, 30c homeopathic on hand may help control swelling and itching as a result of bug bites. We have had great success with it.
We also love the kosher and fish gelatin (ie, no mad cow gelatin) marshmallows from Kosher Mania, which we order by the case.
I recommend putting your tent on a tarp on the ground just for an extra barrier. If you are going to be where animals might get into food, make sure you store it in the car or in a locked cooler, or hang it from a tree.
Have a blast!
Hi dongdong, that's funny about dad, I can just see us having the same problem!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy, How could we forget that!! Roasting sticks, got it on the list now!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tara, yeah it's a super cool tent. I'm excited to put it up.
I love that we get our own private spaces:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, those are some awesome camping tips! Wet wipes and glow sticks on my list!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Denise, Thanks for the balm tip. I'll check it out. Glad to hear your going camping too!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Ruth, Oh we are already considering it... It's hard with teenagers though, the thought of leaving the city sends them into a panic. There will be a small window of opportunity when Caleb will be (hopefully) on his own and Noah will not yet be a emotional teenager. Then we will quickly move:) Right now Noah would love to move to the country!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks for all the great tips Amy. Ground tarp for under the tent... got it on my list. Thanks!
You'll love it! And once you get the routine down, you can spend more time relaxing!
Take your gear for a test drive in the back yard FIRST!!!!
I always hear Avon Skin so Soft bath oil spray or something like that, keeps the mosquitos away, they hate the smell, you might google that and see if it is true. Quite a set up and wow, this would be fun I would think. I haven't camped in years.
We LOVE camping!
Sleepy Hollow was a great choice for your first time out. While there they have adventure programs for families, a naturalist leading some sort of activity; hike, craft, discussion.
If you have a handheld GPS you could try your hand at geocaching, treasure hunting.
If you enjoy camping, the best park in the state is Ludington State park.
Post a Comment