Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Speeches and laughs

I've had this old podium for a long time, the other day as I past it on the stairway I had an idea!
I brought it down into the living room, dusted it off and placed a dictionary on it. Noah has been having a blast with this. In the evenings he'll stand behind it reading words and their definitions to us. During the day he has been a judge, a preacher (hilarious!) , a college professor, a politician and a game show host. It reminds me of Sandra Dodd's concept of strewing. Strewing things in the paths of your children and letting them run with it. This was a great strew! All of this great public speaking practice. He does want to be President someday!
I should mention there is a brass plaque on the podium,
inscribed with the words; In Memory of Charles S. Scofield
So here's to Mr. Scofield, who ever you are!
Seeing how your memorial ended up in my house.

7 comments:

A Slice of the Pie said...

That sums up my best homeschooling experiences. Just simply placing an item of interest in the path of a child causes such wonderful things. And dictionaries are some of my favorite things!

Tara said...

This is a beautiful old podium, Anet. I like the concept of strewing, but probably don't do it nearly enough – thanks for the reminder! I have to smile thinking of Noah acting out all those scenarios. Wonderful!

Sharon said...

Noah For President? I'll vote for him! :)

Anet said...

Hey Kel,
Really is a great way to enrich their lives.
We always have fun with dictionaries. Not that I'm a good speller, cuz I'm not. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Tara,
Yeah, I forget myself sometimes. To let them have freedom of the outcome. To let them enjoy their curiosity. What a gift!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sharon,
Give him about 20 years. He said I can live with him at the White House, isn't that nice?! Hey, You could visit us! (really, this momma doesn't want her son to run country. Talk about stress!)

How's Hanging Horn and the rest of the gang? I hope Larry is feeling better. No more scary stuff!

sandy said...

What a wonderful idea. I love the fact that Noah orates and wants to be president! That podium is a beauty... Stewing...great word.

Unschoolers Rock the Campground said...

A high school friends' mom had a book stand with a dictionary in her kitchen. I loved it. Thanks for the memory

Gwen Buchanan said...

What a good idea, Anet.. I love it.. I think he is on the right track.. and you put him there..

Blog Archive