Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Ah...Ha! After years of failed attempts.

I've done it! I've finally figured out knitting. With the help of YouTube and Tara :) I haven't figured out the pearl stitch yet, in time! After first knitting with tiny needles and thin yarn...(not a good choice but it's all I had around the house.) I managed to make what I called a "mouse's blanket" With new bamboo needles and variegated yarn, I'm now in the midst of a cat mat for the animal shelter. One problem is the mats must be 20 x 28 inches. I squeezed 20inches on a 14 inch needle. Hmmm.... that seems wrong. But it's working out, I guess. I have so much to learn yet. Someday I'm hoping to be knitting mittens with snowflake designs on them! (big dreams) Thanks for the help Tara!
A few other project in the making. A Valentine pillow for Autumn and Kevin.
(Oh, that will eventually be a K for Kevin... it sort of looks like a J right now.)

A pillow for the sofa. I call her "Miss Sniffy." She's busy harvesting acorns.

I'm having so much fun embroidering vintage designs :)

14 comments:

Ruth said...

Yay! I was in the same place with knitting a few years ago, but my carpal tunnel just wouldn't let me keep at it. In no time you'll be on to those mittens.

Winter is so good for these things. And your vintage designs are really wonderful. Treasures!

Tara said...

That squirrel design is just precious! It will make a great pillow. I'm so happy the knitting is working out. You can transfer your animal mat to circular needles if it's too cramped on that smaller size. You'll be purling away in no time I'm sure (it's just a knit stitch in reverse).

Tara said...

It's me again!
My valentine's came today! They are so fun, and the timing is perfect: it was my birthday yesterday. Tess wants them all but I'm guarding them mightily. I may choose some to make a garland. The best part is that there were 3 or 4 I remembered having as a kid.
Thanks Anet!

Anet said...

HI Ruth, Thanks, I love the vintage stuff! I have a cute kitten that I'm doing next. Sometimes my wrist hurts if I do hand work for too long. I have to pace myself. It's a bummer when our bodies won't let us do things we want.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
A day late!
I hope you enjoyed your day.
I'm glad you like the Valentines. The garland sounds like a great idea for them, very Cute!
Now, you could share a few with Tess ;)
Autumn has been selling them like hotcakes on her Etsy. They bring back good memories!
I'm excited about the knitting:)

tiff said...

wow...i can only crochet...i keep thinking that i should pick up knitting...but not sure if i have the patience. love the colors.

and those pillows are awesome...i love the squirrel too!

A Slice of the Pie said...

It took me years of trying before it finally clicked for me. I am so glad I persisted. My first project was a pair of mittens! Happy knitting!

Kel

Anet said...

Hey Tiff,
I've tried learning from a beginners knitting book. I was totally lost! I need someone to SHOW me. YouTube is awesome. If you get around to it, you should check it out.
If I can do, so can you;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`
Hey Kel,
Okay, your first project was mittens?!! Wow, I'm impressed!
Maybe I should check out YouTube for knitting mittens.

denise said...

Good for you! Looks great.

Cute squirrel!

~Molly~ said...

Yahoo for learning something new!!! I can knit(and purl sort of) but not well enough to make something beyond a scarf. A friend does beautiful socks but I don't have the patience for something that tiny, oh but I wish for it! I'll stick with my crochet for now.

Molly

india flint said...

just wait until those cats in your header find the knitting on the sofa...

Anet said...

Thanks Denise:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Molly, I'd thought I'd never learn! I am a visual learner.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi India,
Thanks for stopping by. The first orange tiger with his tongue sticking out is Harpo. He drives me crazy when I try to do handwork. He attacks everything! He's still a kitten:)

sandy said...

How fun for you to learn this. That is something I keep thinking I'd like to do again (learn that is, I never got too far with it in the past).. Nice pillows!

RunninL8 said...

OOOOH! Cute! Sniffy in drag!

Great knitting there! I plan on taking my sticks and string to Florida next week. Grammie will learn me to knit!!!!!

Gwen Buchanan said...

lovely, lovely lovely!!!! Beautiful Anet.. knitting is fun isn't it?

Your red embroidery is very vintage looking too.. fun!

Blog Archive