December 5th is
Krampus Day in Austria. Some call him "St. Nick's side kick." He travels the town punishing those who've been naughty. Carrying sticks and a large basket on his back to carry away those children who have been
really naughty all year. When Caleb and Autumn was little we saw an exhibit of German and Austrian Christmas lore. They had an eight foot Krampus on display and he was very scary! Caleb was so scared Krampus would come for him, (hmmm.... I wonder why?) I had to assure him over and over that Krampus never comes to the United States. (I hope... I should warn Noah!)

I'd bet Austria is just full of good children!
16 comments:
I bet you are right!!
Molly
My husbands family is from Germany - yeah. Knecht Ruprecht (Servant Ruprecht)...he accompanies St. Nick and if kids were bad, beats them, throws them in a sack, and tosses it in the river to drown them. I guess the rewarding for good behavior wasn't working, so they threw in some child abuse and mortal fear to get the kids to be good. Wowza, eh? Super crazy. That was the story - and in reality, the priest would go to peoples homes and ask the parents if the kids were good or bad, and if bad, they would beat the kids with a rod.
It is interesting to see there is still Krampusläufe today! I love crazy stories. ;)
Oh - and isn't it great that they are *just* old crazy stories anymore...and silly parades wandering the streets... Noah has nothing to worry about!! ;)
Oh my gosh, I'd never heard of that! Interesting.
that is scary...where is the 'merry'...i think i would be worried like Caleb...hee :)
ah...stories...good thing that is just what they are!!!!
Hahaha, Krampus never comes to the United States. That strikes me so funny. Way to think on your feet, Anet. :)
I never heard of this either. Yikes!
He seems scarier than I remember. Man, seeing him would set me straight for a loonngg time.
It's always interesting to hear about celebrations around the world. Krampus is quite scary!
Kel
Hey everyone,
I find the fun and humor to him! Scaring children is fun sometimes, hehehe!!!
Like the "melon leach."
The Ojibwa told their children a story of a creature that lives in the woods (sorry, I can't think of it's name right now) that devours lost children. It's very scary. But there is a reason for doing this. It was to keep the small children close to camp and not want to go exploring in the woods alone. A tad strange parenting. But it must of worked.
This is humorous in a very twisted way. I love the costumes!
Wow, I didn't even know about this holiday.
I'm one of those parents that didn't perpetuate the Santa Claus myth, and when my daughter heard about Santa when she was five or so, she confused him with Mickey Mouse (whom she didn't like). She thinks that Santa is creepy enough ... Well, wait until I tell her about Krampus! ;)
hey anet,
the Native Alaskan culture has a GIGANTIC Hairy Man that lives in the woods for the same reason...to keep kids close to camp/home. {I can't remember the name either} There is a great book that I just LOVE...it is called The Hungry Giant of the Tundra by Teri Sloat.
There is something fun about being scared...as an adult I get a little scared...hee :)
Hey Tara, I know, it's kind of fun!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Jodi, Oh this gave me a great idea for the post above about Santa! I wish I did what you did about old St. Nick.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tiff, Yeah the same concept!
I have to check out that book, sounds like Noah would enjoy it.
Oh yes, On my side bar you'll see a cat. In Iceland there is a folklore of a huge man-eating cat. Who eats lazy people! It peers into your windows on Christmas eve seeking out the lazy. A few people around here (no names mentioned) better watch out for that one!
We are have the best time learning about these fun Christmas folklores from around the world.
We found out that where Gwen lives, children would find Chicken bones and Barley toys in their stockings. Gwen remembers... I'll let you guess what they are.
You mean now I have to be scared on Christmas eve that I'll be eaten by a cat?! How ironic, I mean cats themselves are so lazy. I knew I was doomed......
I like this!!
Post a Comment