Friday, November 21, 2008

Playing Picasso

Today I took Noah to a ceramic shop called Playing Picasso. We painted some plates. Noah painted two small plates; One for Brad for a Christmas present and another for himself, just for fun. Of course he painted a Union soldier on his plate.


I made a big serving plate, I can see it piled with cookies and other goodies. I made a McPherson Family Plate. Nothing to fancy, I had to help Noah with his plates. While I painted mine, Noah made friends with the nice lady who owns the shop. She was really wonderful to him, (talked as much as he does!) She took him in the back to see the kilns and show him around. She also showed him her super cute dog. It was time well spent with Noah and he learned stuff too! I can't wait to see how they turn out when we pick them up next week!


14 comments:

tiff said...

oh how i love hand painted plates...they have so much meaning when placed on the table at meal time. always a conversational piece. what a great place to go and do all that painting.

Sharon said...

What fun......your plates look great!

Tammy said...

Anything handmade is the best. :)

I love the name of the store!

Tammy said...

Also, I meant to ask...how long has Noah been interested in the Civil War? I know he did some studying on it a while back. Was that his first introduction to it, or had it already been a love of his for a while?

Anet said...

Hey Tiff, it was so fun. I love hand painted plates too!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Sharon, I don't know, that heart is a little wacky! I have a thing about hearts after my first grade teacher made me cry when she told me my heart looked bad that I cut and pasted on my Valentine for my mom....I still have that Valentine, my mom kept it all these years and gave it back to me to keep. Bad stupid teacher!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Tammy,
Noah went to a Civil War camp this summer and he fell in love with the whole period. Then he went to a second camp and we took him to the reenactment. He played Civil War in the woods with some boys who were in costumes, they all had muskets and that was it, the best time in his life! (in his words)
Next year when we go back, I'll let him dress the part and play in the woods again.

~Molly~ said...

Nice artwork you two!! We are starting to figure out some handcrafted things for Christmas gifts this year. Must make a trip to Michael's soon...

I have an award for you at my blog!! I hope you'll play along!

Molly

Anet said...

Thanks Molly! :)

Ruth said...

I've wanted to do that for a long time, still haven't. It would be so cool to have the plates to use. Hope Brad doesn't read this post!! :D

I wanted to tell you, Anet, in case you're free and are interested, I'm doing a poetry reading this evening with my poetry group, including Diane Wakoski, a world famous poet. I'd love to meet you if you can come! It's at Metro Space in East LansingMetro at 7. Of course I'll understand if you can't! But I thought I'd let you know. :)

Anet said...

Oh darn Ruth I'd love to, but tonight is our art show for the preschool where I work. Let me know when your reading again somewhere. I'd just love to go and meet you!
Good luck with the reading!

Ruth said...

Aww, shucks. Oh well, I hope we'll find another way to meet. Have fun tonight!

Tara said...

I love that the owner of the shop took the time to show Noah around and explain things to him. That's so cool. I can see your plate piled high with goodies and surrounded by one very happy family.

Anet said...

I don't know Tara, it's hard to be one happy family with a couple of moody teenagers! I'll pile it with goodies anyways. :)

Gwen Buchanan said...

this is sweet Anet

**a note on the teenagers.. it's a phase... they'll grow out of it by the time they're 30...

Anet said...

That's good to hear Gwen!

Blog Archive