I finally found my uncle Robert's grave. He is my mother's brother. He died in 1929 (the start of the depression) at the age of 9. My mom was 4 years old when he passed. He died from Spinal Meningitis, there was an epidemic of it. My mom remembers her family being quarantined to their home. I can't imagine my grandparents grief over losing Robert and the worry that more of their children could die.
I have searched for his grave for 2 years. My mom wasn't sure where it was located in the cemetery. She told me there is a really big tree by it. There are hundreds of really big trees in the cemetery. I finally found the on-line reg. for the cemetery. He is in section K. That's all it said. Section K is full of children it is in the back near the woods. We left him some flowers.
Here are a few interesting stones we found. The first one is from the 1800's the front of it faces the tree. This huge tree grew a few inches right in front of it. The writing on it was in another language. I think German. There was only word we could read at the top, it reads: Farewell
The second one is one of a Civil War soldier. There are several of them. I wanted Noah to come along to see them but he is too afraid. Something about zombies jumping out and getting him. Caleb and I went alone. Caleb was so fascinated with the trees!
We came across this sign near the soldier section. It reads: Lt. Luther Baker captured John Wilkes Booth. The assassin of Abraham Lincoln. We walked several graves over and found him. Wow, that's cool! I had no idea this man was buried here. I really want to research and find out a bit more about him. Why did he end up in Lansing?
There are many local famous people buried here. There are large mausoleums and tombs. It's such a beautiful place with some amazing trees. It's about a two miles up the road from me.
I love the history and the art of the stones. I love to read the names and dates. I wonder what their lives were like. Does anyone remember them still? Do they think of them? Or are they a forgotten soul? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




11 comments:
Great that you found him (and that no zombies got you!). I remember when I worked at Dick Blick people would come in all of the time to get supplies for grave rubbing.
It's great that you found this piece of your family history.
I actually love wandering around cemeteries, looking at headstones, and wondering if anyone remembers them, too. But mausoleums give me the creeps!
I'm glad you were able to find your uncle's grave. 9 years old, so young.
1929 - what a hard time to be alive. I didn't realize there was an epidemic of spinal meningitis, how sad. It's very cool that you found his grave, Anet.
And wow about Lt. Baker! I wonder why he ended up in Lansing is right.
Hi Sharon, Caleb claims zombies leave the grave yards immediately to look for brains. Too bad for the people who live right next to the cemetery. Hehehe...
What a bunch of nuts balls!(my kids) Caleb is the reason Noah runs around so scared all the time.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Slice of the Pie.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tammy,
I'm with you, mausoleums are super creepy. There are some in this this cemetery that have windows to look inside them!
My uncle is the same age of Noah right now. I can't imagine the pain.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Ruth, It sure was a hard time. can you imagine loose a child with the depression to deal with? My family was very poor with seven children to take care of. We have no idea how bad life can be for some people. I need to count my blessings more often!
My mom told me that many children were dying from this. There was a 14 yr. old up the road from them that Robert would play with. He had it and died just before Robert.
I looked up Lt.Baker on line. I found out that he was a Lt. in the Civil War and he was from the Lansing area.
This is really neat, Anet. I'm glad you found him. We live near the memorial park where most of my husband's family who has passed is buried. We often walk through because it's so peaceful there.
zombies only want a little love... or a snickers bar.
we always wandered old new england cemetaries, the old plaques, the old names, so many children died in wintertime, and clustered together--you'd think about the grief, about the hardship of living then, and the simplicity... in the autumn is the best times to visit those quiet tree lined places.
Hi Tara,
I get such a peaceful feeling there. I just want to sit and meditate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hello Mansuetude,
Oooo! I love snickers:)New slogan:
Hug a Zombie or Zombies need love too!
My son Noah is a homeschooler and we have been studying the colonist and the Revolutionary war. How fascinating to wander through a New England cemetery!
The history there is amazing. We want to travel there someday.
Thanks for stopping in!
I love beautiful old cemeteries. I lived in Chicago for many years and there are some amazing ones - so full of stories and art and ego! ;) Here in Madison they are pretty boring, but I do often stop when driving out in the country...there are so many teeny unmarked cemeteries from ages ago...so interesting!
Oh fascinating post today. How cool that you found Robert. I had to laugh about the zombie thing...
I like cemetaries and when I use to visit my mom's, I wanted to linger for quite awhile talking to whoever would listen... and they all did, never talked back though.
This is a rejoining of family... I really glad you discovered your uncle's resting place...
A sign showing Abraham Lincolns assassin.. I wonder how his assassination affected the nation ... did their hope evaporate...
I hope everything possible is done to protect the new leader.. and he does feel like a leader.. finally a leader!!! Hope!!!
Post a Comment