Monday, November 24, 2008

Colonial House by Noah

Noah has been working on a Colonial house diorama for a few days. He wanted to show that the roof opens up like a treasure box. We found some kits at Michael's craft store for diorama building. Basically it has the material and ideas for making different textures such as logs or bricks. But it's up to you what to build. He learns so much after study about a subject and then building a diorama to go with it and he enjoys doing it. We also made a pumpkin launcher. We take turns launching pumpkins and catching them in a basket, also target practice. The catapult was easy to build with craft sticks and rubber band and gluing a pop cap to hold the item to be launched. We just thought of using these little pumpkins we had. Fun for this week. We also watched the History Channel's Christmas Unwrapped the History of Christmas today.


17 comments:

Sharon said...

Great job Noah! That had to have been a LOT of work.

Tammy said...

So fun to read what Noah is doing. With 3 girls at home and one who is into all princess and pink stuff, I don't get much for my "boy" fix. Definitely not soldiers and pumpkin catapults! Seriously, you do not know how much I enjoy reading your blog.

A Slice of the Pie said...

What fun!

Kel

Ruth said...

Hahaha, for some reason picturing the two of you with that pumpkin launcher is making me smile.

The diorama is quite detailed, what a good way to follow up on a lesson.

I would like to watch that Christmas history show. I wonder if it will repeat.

Gwen Buchanan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Anet, If everyone around knew about your wonderful school/unschool, they would have their kids lined up at your gate...

You two make a great team!!!

Tara said...

Cool stuff. Noah's diorama's are beautiful. I could see Tess and Jeff (and the cats) having fun with a pumpkin launcher. Is Harpo in on the action?

Amy Bradstreet said...

Anet, has Noah seen the Colonial House series? We loved that. Great diorama!

~Molly~ said...

What a clever and creative child he is!! I'm very impressed Noah!!!

I hope that show repeats as well, sounds like a good one.

Molly

Anet said...

Hey Sharon,
This one took longer than his other dioramas. It's pretty cool though, he gets to brain storm how it should look, research, measure, design/art.
I have been working with him to draw trees a bit different than the straight stick trees with the green clouds on top. He liked it when I told him he doesn't have to get them prefect, because trees are not prefect. He is a bit of a perfectionist and he gets frustrated with himself sometimes.
Ugh!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awww Tammy,
I'm so glad you enjoy your visit here. I for the same reason love visiting yours for the girl's wonderful handiwork and big warm smiles! I mean I would love to get Noah to embroider something. Fat chance there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Kel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Hi Ruth,
I think I had as much fun as Noah with the launcher!
We ordered the History of Christmas from Netflix. I find Netflix a wonderful homeschooling tool, they have tons of great documentaries.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks Gwen, I have had a few request to homeschool other people's children. Ummm....no thank you! and in Michigan you can only homeschool your own children.
I have my plate full as it is ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Tara,
That launcher is a blast. I'm not sure where Harpo was (probably sleeping on my bed) when we played with it. But later in the evening he jumped up on Noah's desk and knocked it all on to the floor and was going crazy chasing the pumpkins on the wood floor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Amy,
Yes, we have watched the Colonial House. Noah watched bits in pieces of it, cause it's so long... We just finished Frontier House. Same thing, he watched bits and pieces. He liked 1940's house for some reason. He wants to build a 1940's bomb shelter next (diorama, not a real one! lol!!!)

Anet said...

Thanks Molly!
We got it from Netflix. So I'm not sure when it will be on, but I bet the History Channel will be running it soon.

Many of the Christmas traditions are taken from pagan traditions that were used way before Jesus was born. It was very interesting.

Noah found out Santa is not real last year, thanks to some of his public school friends. He was a bit heart broking and drilled me for the truth. (Mr. Truth seeker like his brother!)
This documentary tell of St. Nicholas and how the Santa we know today was created by an artist ummmm....I think in the early 1900's sometime. So for any Children who still believe in Santa this documentary could be a bubble buster.

Gwen Buchanan said...

Oh heavens no Anet... I never meant for a minute it would be something that you would want to do.. only what a Great job you are doing.. I guess I don't say things very clearly, do I?

Anet said...

Oh Gwen, I knew you meant it as a compliment!
I was just referring to when someone did want me to homeschool their two children.
And how crazy that sounded to me. Their reason for not homeschooling their children themselves was "they don't listen to us." Yikes!

Lisa said...

I am always impressed with Noah's scenes! I love the pumpkin launcher! Have a great week.

sandy said...

Enjoyed my catch up here and fun to see Noah's projects. I bet your house smells great with the cinnamon smell.

Oh I feel for you, and glad to read Caleb got home safe and sound. Such a hard age to let them go. I remember so many times..hmmm...well I'm so glad now those days are over. Now its' other challenges.

Have a great thanksgiving.

Jodi Anderson said...

OMG. I want to miniaturize myself and live there!

Anet said...

^ ^
O_O
<( )>
0 0 noah's owl creation

Blog Archive