Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to School!

Today is our official "Back to School Day" for Noah. It's 8:30 am and he's still sleeping as I'm making this post. The public school kids are making their way down the street to the schools with their backpacks in tow. I worry Noah will be sad about not going with all of his P.S. friends to school but when the snow is knee deep and the temps. are freezing, I'll be glad my little guy will be snuggie warm in his bed until he wants to get up. I've always hated waking sleeping children to hall them off in the dark cold mornings to school!


We are all set with our first day: We are still on the Civil War theme... Civil War math stories, journaling, language arts, making a solar picture for science (sunny and in the 90's today) library trip and playing on the playground, reading two chapters or more in his Ready Freddy! book and working on a Civil War map. (On Friday there will be a Civil War presentation for the family.) Also studying a spelling list of compound words. All Civil War type words such as: bedroll, gearbox, flagpole, etc... I need to look on line for an art project yet and that should just about do it. Have a great day:)


Welcome Back to School!

Today's art.
Noah's rendition of a Laurel Burch cat in pastels.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

We're back to school today too. Zoe wants to try organizing herself. I will have each day's work laid out and ready for her to do throughout the day as she sees fit. We'll see how that works out. In the past she's always done it mornings and early afternoon and then had the rest of the day free. I'm skeptical but hopefully she will take responsibility and get it done.
Good luck with Noah today!

~Molly~ said...

You wanna know what time the bus comes by our house?? 6:50!!! Is that not insane?????

Hope you guys have a superfun first day of "school"!

Molly

ps, it is 5 til 11 and Ryan is still snoozing.lol

Anet said...

Hey everyone,
Noah started at 10:15 today and we just ended at 12:30. His math was too easy for him, I guess I have to step it up. We had lunch and are planning a quick trip to the playground and library. Our day should be over by 1:30. Not a bad first day!
His solar print is still in the makings though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hi Tammy,
I hope you and your kids are having a great homeschool day!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Sharon,
I hope Zoe can organize herself and be responsible for it. Caleb did for a short period and then it tapered off...
That's when the battle of power started. Me trying to regain it and him trying to keep it. Ugh... I'm so glad he's moved on to college.
Now, it's top secret to what his projects are and when their due for his classes... it's his responsibility! Okay whatever!
I guess it's just my job to get him up on time for classes.
He's loving his classes! :)

sandy said...

I know that feeling of waking them up on cold rainy days to go to school. NOah will so love being able to sleep in I imagine.

Cool flag on the front porch...

Amazing how much one can learn at home in a shorter time, versus school. I think there is so much wasted minute in public school.

sandy said...

HAHAHAHAH, I didn't know Caleb had a blog. I watched his skank dancing.

I am going to adopt this style for a work out. should be great!!!

hahahahaha..

Tara said...

Sounds like a really fun day! I'm loving this idea about an end of the week presentation. I may just have to rip it off! I'm finding a little extra motivation like that might be helpful for Tess... (mwahaha – evil laugh)

Anet said...

Oooops! That comment was for Molly not Tammy. What the heck, must of been the homeschooling scambled my brain today! Sorry Molly!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OMG! Sandy, I can't believe you saw that dance. He is such a goof!
He gets it from his father's side of the family! I guess...

There is so much wasted time at school. It feels kind of weird that it's so fast at home sometimes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI Tara,
You are always welcome to any ideas here, as I will snatch some from you too! mwahaha!!!

Ruth said...

I love Noah's Laurel Burch painting! There is something very special about the start of school in the fall. At the university we talk about how this is more like New Year's than Jan. 1 for us.

Cool that Noah is going to do a presentation for the family.

denise said...

Happy not back to school day! :)

Sharon said...

I'm so glad Caleb's liking his classes and is starting off with good energy!

Will you ask Noah if I can put his Laurel Burch on my desktop for awhile? I love it!

Gwen Buchanan said...

Hi Anet, tell Noah I love his cat art work.. it's a winner.. it made me smile..

Have fun this year Noah!!!

Anet said...

Hey Ruth, We're grooming Noah to be a high powered business executive! hahaha!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Same to you and yours Denise!:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HI Sharon, Noah would be honored if you to used his cat for your desktop. What a big smile you put on his face! Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Gwen, Thanks from Noah!

Tammy said...

Sleeping in, hot chocolate mornings, not having to warm up the car in freezing temps, and not fighting the snow.....those are all perks of homeschooling in my book! :)

tiff said...

I love that flag...the colors are awesome.

as for back to school...i am missing the days of starting our day when WE want to and not when the clock tells me...it is a hard adjustment...just know that this mama is jealous...

happy NOT back to school...giggle :)

RunninL8 said...

I love the idea of giving presentations to the family!

Lo's whole personality changed when i no longer had to drag her out of bed to get Dea to school!

Blog Archive