Wanted to share some pictures of Old Town.
This is the first area settled of Lansing in 1836
It used to be called Biddle City, then Michigan, Michigan.
I'm glad they changed the name. This is the area
I'm glad they changed the name. This is the area
I grew up in. It wasn't this nice though it's been
taken over by the art scene and it's really wonderful now!
Lots of galleries, cool shops, places to eat.
The Grand River runs along side of these buildings.
This building has two gargoyles on top that are pretty interesting.
This building is very special to me, I spent many, many hours here as a kid. My mom and my oldest sister worked here
when it was a thrift store. Yes... we've been thrifting all my life!
The bathroom was in the basement and let me tell you that
was one spooky place! I would hold it for as long as I could to
avoid going down there.
My parent used to own a small bar here back in the 50's, before I was born.
It was called Charlie's Bar after my dad. He owned
another one downtown that was called The Tropicana.




16 comments:
The architecture is beautiful. It's been so long since I've been to Lansing I can't even remember the last time.
Did your dad own The Tropicana while you were growing up?
Amazing how long you can hold it if you have to.....a life skill that always comes in handy! :)
Hey Sharon, Nope, no bars when I was around. He worked at Diamond Reo trucks when I was growing up.
I think my mom put her foot down about no more bars! Funny...my parents didn't even drink. A very good thing I suppose!
For many years this part of town was runned down and not a good place to be in. Even when I was a kid, I had to stay in the store!
There was a scary old bar around the corner called The Mustang. Very creepy!!! Now it's a really great art studio!
How cool! I love and miss old towns! i grew up back east-new england and love to go back and visit those places-especially the run down ones that have now been fixed up by the art scene!
Here in Alaska-since it's such a young state- you'll find predominantly groovy 70's acrhitecture with a splash of really cool modern. it's really an open pallet for some fabulous out of-the-box design ideas!
And then of course you have all the igloos, right?!?!?
Hi Runni18, I want to go to New England so....bad! I think a trip in the fall would be awesome!
Hey do people still live in igloos? I know it's probably a really stupid question,
but I'm not sure if there are natives that still live like that.
Great building there! My dad would have loved to own a few bars, instead of just sitting and drinking in them.
Oh no Sandy!
What lovely buildings. :)
I think the way one is raised is so much a part of one as an adult. I grew up thrifting and garage sale-ing, and love it so much today as well.
I love that beautiful brickwork and architecture. Nice!
Neat pictures. I love it when old downtowns come alive again. And I love gargoyles and thrift stores, too! I'm not sure where my love of thrifting came from as my mom always got her knickers in a bunch when I came home with something thrifted.
"Why do you want dirty old clothes?"
But I love every bit of it: finding something quirky, saving something from the landfill, saving cash!
Thanks Denise!
***************************
Hey Tara, thrifting is a family affair, not only did we thrift... my mom, my aunt and two of my sisters worked in thrift stores. I'm glad you love thrifting too!
Love the old architecture, Anet.. and the gargoyles are great!! I love the way they used to do details on buildings.. Wish new buildings paid as much attention to detail!!
and as far as second hand clothes.. we grew up with them and loved having all these fabrics to make anything we wanted.. it was like have free art supplies!! we pretended we were fashion designers and made all kinds of cool clothes from them.. thanks Anet!!
Hi Gwen, Isn't weird that they don't build they way they used to?
Autumn loves to tear apart thrift store finds and recreate them!
Then Autumn is a girl after my own heart!
Yay Old Town! I miss it since we moved away from Lansing. We go back, but not enough. I really love October Moon, the gift shop, expensive though.
That's cool your dad had a bar down there!
I did a poetry reading at the Creole once. :)
Old town is really wonderful now! I'm so glad it's been revived. It's growing all the time. They won a contest and Ikea came and did some kind of makeovers for the town. I took these pictures during the week Noah had Civil War Camp at the Dodge Turner Mansion.
Wow, what a contest.. That's great!!
Post a Comment