Tons of Fireflies this year! We sit on the porch in the
evening and watch the magical light show!
I hope you've had a chance to check them out.
Brad and Noah run around catching them
and releasing them of course!
You can almost see me through the smudgy glass walking into the living room in the back ground . He said "Mom, you got in my shot" Sorry... I didn't know we were having a bug photo session!
Lightning Bugs are the same as Fireflies. They are members of a particular family of the Beetle Order. The Firefly Family is technically known as the Lampyridae.
Here's a link to The Firefly Files tells all about them in a kid friendly way.






9 comments:
love the lightning bugs/fireflies...i remember visiting my grandparents in Illinois...sittin' on the porch or better yet chasing the lightning bugs.
fun...fun...fun!
oh yeah and i can't believe you got in the picture...ya know cuz' if you squint you can see you...giggle :)
We don't have many (any?) around here. I miss them.
I have two great memories from my childhood in Kansas. Fireflies (lightning bugs) and weeping willow trees. Two of my best memories!!
Thanks so much for this post!
Did you guys happen to see the show yesterday afternoon called The Science of Summer? They had a segment all about lightning bugs!! I can't remember which channel it was on, maybe Discovery, but it was very cool. You should google it.
Oh we love Fireflys, Anet! We have been watching them all summer. There seems to be a bumper crop of them up here too.. many more than usual..
max usually catches them and carries them around in a bottle for a while (with air holes, of course),to use for a lantern, and examines them before releasing .. I'm glad they have returned in larger numbers... doesn't feel like summer without there blinking lights!!!
Thanks for the link!
It's so funny when they sneak in the house and start flashing when it's dark. Everyone(kids and cats) goes crazy!
LOVE fireflies. We don't have them here but we look foward to seeing them in a few weeks when we visit grandma in NJ!
And THANKS for the link!!!!
I've never seen a lightning bug/firefly, since they don't live in our area of the country. I've always wanted to see one lit up at night, though.....
That's sound wonderful Runnin, There's nothing better that visiting grandma!!!
*************************
Wow, I wish you could see them in person Tammy, they are amazing, A bug that lights up! it's really a sight. Fun to catch and release.
This year we have tons of them!!!
Post a Comment