Why are there trees I never walk under but large and melodious thoughts descend upon me? Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road
I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues. Dr. Suess
You can't be suspicious of a tree,
or accuse a bird or a squirrel of subversion or challenge the ideology of a violet.
- Hal Borland (1908-1978), Sundial of the Seasons, 1964
A tree falls the way it leans. Bulgarian Proverb
*
From a fallen tree, all make kindling. - Spanish proverb
*********************
The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn. -Ralph Waldo Emerson

I think that I shall never see A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the sweet earth's flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."
- Joyce Kilmer, 1886-1918, Trees
******************
As the poet said, "only God can make a tree,"
probably because it's so hard to figure out how to get the bark on.
- Woody Allen








13 comments:
Anet, the pictures and the quotes present a lovely tribute to trees! I inherited the love of them from my mom, and she loved that Joyce Kilmer poem. Imagine what Michigan was like before it was clear cut!!
Ruth, your mom sounds like a wonderful lady... to love trees and poetry!
I often wonder what my yard, neighborhood and town looked like 200 years ago. Trees abounded I'm sure. Glorious trees!
A really great post Anet!
We have a lot of trees here but mostly only pines and aspens; no variety. But Michigan has the best trees. And while I am no fan of "institutional religion" I am strong believer in a larger spiritual reality/God...
(whatever you want to name/call it) and am overwhelmed in the face of nature (trees, stars, birds, etc.....) by it's presence.....and that we, and the trees, are all a divine reflection of a reality too complex for me to understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is that trees are spiritual to me, transcendent and corporeal all at the same time and that your post captures that.
I hear ya Sharon! I too am not into the "institutional religion," but to my Spirit Father, I am grateful. Grateful for all the magnificent trees! I keep thinking I should make a nature altar, changing it with the equinoxes and the solstices. That would be cool!
Thanking our Great Father for his gifts of nature.
Ah sweet nature... lovely Anet., that is exactly how i feel... just love the whole thing, thanks!
My favourite thing about trees is this time of year ... when they are bursting forth .. first with tiny swollen buds then a bit of leaf peeks out, then the new delicate leaves... perfectly formed ... all that energy hidden away from us for so long... it is so welcome .
Hi Gwen, it really is an amazing thing that trees do. Sometimes I forget to stop and ponder that.
Those are great quotes and photos.
Are those TURKEYS in the 3rd photo???????
Reading the other comments I have to tell you about 'my trees' in Ireland - at Tara. I feel they adopted me! I mean I literally felt that they loved me, unconditionally. Trees definitely have spirits. I have gone back to see them twice, and it was an amazing reunion.
And if you don't believe trees have spirits, as I was writing this, out of the blue, Don told me more money was made from the 'green gold' than real gold in the Alaskan or California gold rushes. Green gold was the clear cutting of trees. He didn't know I was on your blog post about trees, or what I had commented yesterday, or anything! (Ok I hear Twilight Zone music now.)
Hi Tammy, Thanks, yes those are some turkeys that Noah and I followed down the trail for a ways. Then they wandered off the trail into the woods.
Ruth, The trees in Ireland sound magical! I so believe trees have spirits. I would love to see Ireland. I had an amazing dream once about Ireland. I was standing on a edge of a castle, (which I would never stand near an edge in real life!) anyways, as far as I could see was this amazing lush forest. It took my breath away! It was spiritual. I have to go there some day.
Don't you just love when life creeps you out like that! I'm not sure what that's called when you're thinking of something, or something happens and within a few days... there it is again! It happens to me all the time.
They must cut a lot of trees in MI too, because my sister used to live on East US 10 past Reed City and on the way to Ludington. Well every day several logging trucks full of logs would drive past her house.
Green Gold! Black Gold, it has to stop!!!!
Hey Ruth, I'm listening to Meridan right now. Wow, they are fantastic!
I'm listening to; Listen to Your Breaking Heart right now. I LOVE it! Awesome!!
Does your son sing? I love that voice!
Spooky indeed! Last night(monday night) I had a dream where I was riding through a nice town with tree lined streets. My husband was driving the car and sometimes my dad was with us. EVERYWHERE we went they were cutting parts of trees off. Sometimes there would be a tree down to the trunk with no limbs left and sometimes just one limb would be taken off. Most of the time the limbs fell in front of our car and we had to be on guard. The trees grew over the streets and the crews were in the middle of the street with no warning signs or barriers, just driving and cutting. It was very strange and I had to consult my dream symbols book as soon as I got out of bed. What it said hasn't made sense to me but maybe it will later in the day.
Btw, I love the gnome village by your lovely new steps!
Molly
Gee... that's weird Molly and then you come here and I've posted about trees. Hmmmmmmm.
Now that I've witnessed that tree falling over, I feel a little nervous every time the wind blows hard! There are two huge old trees next to my house. I'm scared they fall on my house.
Post a Comment