Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pow Wow Treasures

A tricked out Native car.
My sage and smudging shell. Used for purification of a person, place or thing.
Brad's walking stick with medicine bag.

5 comments:

Sharon said...

Very Cool! I would love to hear more about the sage and smudging shell ritual some time.......

Anet said...

Hi Sharon, If you click the link to "sage and smudging" there is a quick page that explains all about the ritual better than I ever could.

Sharon said...

Sorry, I don't know how I missed that!

denise said...

Nice.

I used to live in New Mexico, in a small town of 200 on an Indian Reservation. Even under BIA jurisdiction. We were allowed to attend certain ceremonies there - corn dance, etc. Always so beautiful and rich. Transcends time.

Anet said...

Wow... how interesting Denise! They do have their spiritual beliefs and sometimes it's too personal to share with non-natives.
The Pow Wow has etiquettes that we follow. Like certain times that no pictures are allowed and to never take a picture of an eagle feather or pick it up if one falls to the ground, there is a ceremony for that. Never take an up close portrait photo without permission. and we call their clothing regalia, not costumes. There's a bunch more!

Blog Archive