Friday, March 28, 2008

Learning with Noah

A Carcharodon Megalodon

This morning I read an article in the newspaper about a 16 yr. old boy who found a fossilized tooth of a Carcharodon megalodon or the 'megatooth' shark in a river here in Michigan. The shark went extinct 2 million years ago. The paleobotany specialist at MSU thinks the tooth was probably dropped there by a human inhabitant of the region. Michigan was a shallow marine environment 300 to 500 million years ago, there was a diverse array of sharks, whales and other underwater life then.

I shared this article with Noah, then we researched on the Internet more extincted animal from our area. I didn't know we even had a "lion type' animal here in Michigan. Of course we had your woolly mammoths and such. It's very interesting, but I'm sure glad that the mosquito is about the worst thing to worry about these days!

No comments:

Blog Archive