Valentine's Day 1968: I'm in the first and we're making Valentines for our moms. I'm trying my best to cut the perfect heart for my Valentine, after several attempts my teacher passes by my desk and picks up my heart to examine it. She then proceeds to tell me "your mother won't like your heart, it's all crooked." (paper cut to my heart!)
I'm six, for pete's sake!
I got really nervous and tried a few more hearts, they were all wOnKy. I picked the best one and because I took so long to get the heart made my teacher hastily stapled it to the doily and said I didn't have time to paste it. I rushed to write my message to my mom.
I gave it to my mom and don't remember much of her reaction to it. I'm sure I got a hug and told how nice it was... a few years ago my mom handed me my first grade Valentine. She kept it all these years!
I'm not kidding, every time I use scissors I get all flustered and think I can't cut anything... just ask my boss.
Well, Mrs. Keys put these Valentines in your pipe and smoke it and my mom DID like my Valentine, so there! (hands on hips...sticking out tongue!)
Okay, so much of this was cut with a craft knife and I won't be mass-producing them any time soon. They are a lot of work! I'm just nutty over these sweet Squirrels! I found the pattern for these at Little Acorn a wonderful blog full of cutie pie stuff! Check out the sweet little flower hat on her latest post... it's so cute!!! I'm going to make one for great-niece.




10 comments:
What a beautiful (in every sense of the word) and healing thing to do. Yay for you, Anet!
These are absolutely gorgeous! I'm envying them madly. :-D
Oh Anet, I'm just so...happy...(can't think of a better word!) your mom kept your valentine all these years. Your mom must have loved you and your sweet valentine so much to have saved it. Pooey on Mrs. Keys anyway! ;)
Oh My Gosh! Amelia was cutting one of these out the other day! I made a special request for it, they are so cute, I love the way you mounted them. I have never understood teachers like Mrs. Keys, what right do they have to squash a child's spirit. I had a teacher tell me I sang off key, so I never wanted to sing, it was with the birth of my daughter that I began to sing again.
Thanks Christiane:) It was a healing process... I hope:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh Wendy,thank you... you should give it a try!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thank you Tammy:) Yeah! pooey on Mrs. Keys!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa Anne,
I thought of Amelia the whole time I was making these and how amazingly talented she is!
It's not easy, the tiny round acorns are really messed up and I'm sure old Mrs. Keys would disapprove:)
Keep singing!!!
Oh! Your cut-outs are so lovely!!
Seconds into reading this post, I had tears..how many of us have a "Mrs. Keys, I know nothing about children and yet I chose to be a teacher anyway" story of our own..argh! Thank-you for sharing and for healing b/c you're precious and so is your heart.
Have you seen this site? http://papercutting.blogspot.com/2010/02/template-tuesday-hedgehog-love.html
Anet, those are amazing! SHAME on that teacher!!!!
lisa
Awww... Thank you Shona Leah!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OMG!!! Lisa Anne,
that site is amazing!
Now I'm hooked. Squirrels scampering across the header! and did you see the Squirrel King? I'm going out to buy more paper! Squeal!!!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
5orangepotatoes,
:) Thank you!
I do love paper cutouts, and the pink and white in yours is just the prettiest - so much prettier than red and white.
I am grrrrr-ing about Mrs. Keys. I'm so happy you overcame her ignorance and created Valentines like these.
Post a Comment