Today was a nice quiet day, my day off from work. No outside homeschool activities to go to. No appointments to get anyone to. No running the older kids anywhere.
Noah homeschooled and I did some much needed cleaning. Here's a glimpse of what a quiet day of homeschooling looks like here at our house;
Noah started his day with some breakfast and then did some math review... he really hates reviewing. Also he played an on-line math game called Times Attack. A really fun game to reinforce your multiplications. (to make up for the boring review.) I'm ordering the Math U See program for him soon.
He snuggled on the love seat with Harpo and a blanket and read a few chapters in The Drummer Boy of Vicksburg.
He wrote some sentences using his spelling list. (another non-favorite thing to do.)
He worked on his comic book that he's making. Using those writing skills!
We browsed a few old Smithsonian Magazines. It's like a mini museum trip. We just love them.
We read about the artist Thomas Hart Benton, Grizzly bears in Alaska, Churches in the USSR,
The Cold War submarine the USS Batfish, Edgar Rice Burroughs the author of Tarzan, The effects of noise on humans, and the greenhouses from the estate of King Leopold II of Belgium.
Whew.... all in just two magazines! Noah would sit and learn about stuff like this all day if I let him.
He played with some science test tube kits, instant snow and sand that stays dry in water.
I retrieved our old keyboard from the attic. Noah is practicing Mary had a Little Lamb. I know it's kind of lame, but I think it easier to learn a song that you at least know the tune of.
I'm checking the library for a few beginner sheet music books.
Noah finished off the day with an art lesson we saw on The Crafty Crow. They used an old calender picture, we used a picture from an Audubon Magazine. He loves to draw with a pencil.
Noah titled this "The Concerned Monkey"
Then lunch time, after lunch Noah played with Lego's for awhile and then asked to play a computer game. I had to chuckle the other day watching him type on the keyboard. When did he learn to type so fast and so well?! So that's about it, a quiet day of homeschooling:)




12 comments:
whew!!! I bet Noah is ready for bed after all that activity.
he did a good job on the drawing...
go Noah...
I love your day...and I miss those days. You do pack it in...but it seems so stress free...even with the stuff Noah doesn't like so much.
His drawing is amazing...that looks like a lot of fun...I plan on sharing that idea with Keegan...he is our drawer in our family!
Definitely a day well lived.
What a great drawing exercise. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I always enjoy a glimpse into other homeschooler's days and usually come away inspired to try something new... as I have today!
Wow!!! Fantastic drawing!!! I love it...
Hey nothing lame about starting off playing music you're familiar with.. that is the beat way... actually makes anyone understand that "Yes I can do this too".. it's very encouraging!! another easy song to start off with is "Are you Sleeping, Brother John?"
I'm so pleased with how you are teaching Noah!! If only the world taught in this way... it would be a wiser place...
and...
the engineered chair..
Applause to Noah and his excellent adviser!!!
What a full and fun day. I always loved doing those drawings using a photo! I love how you are able to balance the "boring" stuff with the interesting stimulating stuff!
Harpo and a blankie! Beats hard little chairs and desks any day! However, I would totally be asleep in 5 minutes! But I'm an ole lady...;)
Sounds like a creative and fulfilling homeschooling day. Some days homeschooling works for us, other days I am wondering what the heck am I doing to my poor child.
Sounds like a great day!
Thanks for the Mazattack link. I down load the free game..:)
What a great drawing!
Could I send you a kid or two? That sounds like a great day.
Kel
I love glimpses into the days of others, especially homeschooling/unschooling.
That chair rocks.
Thanks Sandy, he just loves using a pencil to draw with. No coloring in. Also he draws super tiny pictures, I about need to put on my glasses to see them.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Tiff, I know I would miss homeschool if we every decide to go back to school, it's always a possibility, it's really up to Noah. Right now he's loving homeschooling.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Tara, The Crafty Crow has some neat activities on it. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Awe.. thank you Gwen. That means so much to me. I love to hear that!
We will keep at the music lessons. It's such an important part of life.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks RunninL8, We are in a deep freeze today so there will be a lot of cuddling on the love seat with cats and blankets. Our house is old with drafty windows and it's -10 out!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do the same thing Lisa Anne!
I think you're a fantastic homeschooling family!!!
We all have those moments of wonder. That's when I pull out my "mental" scales and weigh the good against the bad parts. Good always wins!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Denise:)
Thanks Anne:) Glad you stopped in:)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh yes, Kel! send them my way, the more the merrier! :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Thanks Jodi ;)
Hope you post some of his tiny pictures.
I visit many art blogs and I can't believe what some people can do on a post card size paper. The detail sometimes is amazing.
Post a Comment