Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Our Earth Day Celebration trip to the zoo

Eagle
(he was injured and can no longer fly)
Noah tiger
Penguins
I forgot the name of this guy!
The best part of the day!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice blog

Gwen Buchanan said...

Anet , your son must have really enjoyed his day with you.. Do you live near the zoo? how many different animals do they have? lucky you .. and your son!

Anet said...

Hey Gwen,
Yes, we live only about 2 miles from the zoo. My daughter used to work there as a teen zookeeper. It was really neat. We even got to see the underground tiger/lion cages. The animals were like two feet from us in barred cages. I'm not sure of the number of animals. There is a black rino that is pretty unique. We had a great time, Noah and I.

Sharon said...

What a great thing to do on Earth Day! The pig and the hand holding are my favorites!

Ruth said...

Hi Anet, I came over from Sharon's and Gwen's to say 'hi' since we're neighbors!

Did you know Potter Park Zoo is one of the zoos in the country that is licensed to take endangered animals? I have mixed feelings about zoos, I suppose everyone does, but I'm glad that help endangered animals.

My husband is a 3rd grade teacher, and he takes them to that zoo for the Big Zoo Lesson for a whole week every year. They ride the bus and spend the whole day they for a week! It really gets the kids reflecting on things in some profound ways.

Anet said...

Hi Ruth,
It's nice to meet you! I am glad Potters Park Zoo helps endangered animals. That's really important.
I have a huge problem with circuses and the animals in them. I refuse to go to the circus when it's in town. I know that Potters Park Zoo really takes good care of their animals. My daughter was a teen zoo keeper there for several years.
Sound like a wonderful lesson and what a awesome teacher to do a week long zoo trip!!

Anet said...

Hey Sharon,
I love the piggy too, he was just snoozing away in the sun. What a great life he has.
It was a great Earth Day with my little guy!

Ruth said...

One of the things Potter Park does is give their animals "enrichment," which means they do something, weekly, that enhances their instinct or brings back their native environment. Like for the tiger, they hang the carcass of an animal above their area so they can jump and "kill" it the way they would in the wild.

The jury is still out for me about zoos, but I have been very interested to hear more about Potter Park from Don when he comes back from his weeks. During prep week, before the students go, he has even seen surgeries!

Blog Archive