Monday, April 21, 2008

Black Squirrels?


I was just wondering if anyone has black squirrels in their area? I know that some of our out-of-town guest get pretty excited when they see them. They are much more skittish than the red squirrels. This little guy needs to stay out of the flower box. Luckily nothing is planted in there yet.

10 comments:

Sharon said...

After I saw a black squirrel on your blog I asked my husband if he remembered their being black squirrels in Michigan and neither of us do......but it's been a long time. There definitely aren't any here in Wyoming. He's amazing!

Anet said...

We live really close to MSU. The campus has had them for years and years. They have moved into our neighborhood. They are really cute!

Sharon said...

That must be great living so close to a large university. Just the library alone would be phenomenal!

After visiting your blog, I liked your Playlist (Flower Meadow) so much that I added it to my blog. Let me know if that bugs you and I'll change it! :)

(Oh, I stole the mothers for peace logo too but it's for a good cause so I figured you wouldn't mind.)

Anet said...

I don't mind:) I figure that's what blogs are for. Sharing, right?
You're more than welcome.

Sharon said...

Thanks Anet. It's such a soothing track.

Gwen Buchanan said...

No I must say, that I have never seen a black squirrel till this very moment when I saw him on your blog..
suppose he was looking for a treat of some tasty bulbs...

Anet said...

They hide peanuts in my flower boxes and then dig them up to look for them. Sometime I get upset with the little monsters.

~Molly~ said...

My inlaws used to have a family of at least 4 black squirrels several years ago. Apparently they either left their property(5 acres) or died out and didn't reproduce any black squirrel babies because we haven't seen one in at least 5 years. I haven't seen any others in our town either. The squirrels here in east Texas are gray with a creamy underbelly but the ones we just saw in central Oklahoma are slightly more brown with an orange belly.

Molly, back from oklahoma finally, but not blogging yet.

Stumbleine said...

Have you ever heard of Dr. Kellogg in Battle Creek, Michigan. Yes, I'm talking about the Father of Corn Flakes, etc. He found the tar-beasts (black squirrels) up in Canada at the turn of the 20th century and decided to bring some to his estate in Battle Creek, Mich. because they were so exotic. Now they are rampant throughout the countryside, displacing other breeds and generally taking over.

Anet said...

Autumn,
Yes I've read that about Dr. Kellogg. He was a very strange guy.
Sounds like you're not to fond of the "tar-beast." Thanks for the great info!


Molly,
Glad you're back from your trip. Hope you had a good one. I'll be checking your blog, after you've rested up a bit!

Blog Archive